Some sound advice from SwimSwam on what to eat and when after working out. An extract from their article which you can find in its entirety by clicking the link below.
Post-workout nutrition has three basic ideas:
- The body deals with nutrients differently at different times, depending on activity.
- What you consume before, during, and especially after your workout is important.
- By consuming particular nutrients after your workouts, you improve your body composition, performance, and overall recovery.
With the basic ideas, post-workout nutrition has three specific purposes:
- Replenish glycogen
- Decrease protein breakdown
- Increase protein synthesis